Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Very Long Account of our Adventures in New York.

So, thanksgiving break Sarah and I visited my Aunt and Uncle in New York and had a multitude of adventures.
Homie dropped Sarah and I off at the train station in the morning and I had the nagging feeling that I had forgotten something.  I shrugged it off and probably about twenty minutes later, while we were on the train to the city, I realized what I had forgotten.
The tickets.
The tickets for our orchestra section seats to see Mary Poppins on broadway that night.  The gift from my aunt.  The tickets.
So, I called my mom and asked her to go to my room and check under the fan on my dresser, and, sure enough, there they were.  Then, I started silently panicking.  I looked over at Sarah and tried to decide whether I should tell her and completely freak her out or just keep silent until I figured this out.  Ten minutes later, my mom called at said that Homie had talked to my aunt and she had printed out copies of the tickets the week before, just in case.
So that's how the trip started.
Then, we got to Penn Station in Manhattan, hopped the 2 train to Brooklyn, and then heard the announcement on the subway:  The 2&3 trains which usually run from Manhattan to Brooklyn were not running to Brooklyn over the weekends due to construction, so we had to find a station which had transfers to the 4&5 trains.  Basically, we got off and on a few subways, and eventually got to where we had to make a transfer, but then we couldn't find the station because we had to go up to the street and walk a block to it.  Eventually, we went into a starbucks and asked for directions and found the right station, which lead us to the right train, which finally got us into Brooklyn to the correct stop.
All the while, mind you, we are each carrying an overstuffed suitcase and an overly packed backpack.  You should have seen us trying to get around the subway stations with all that stuff.
So then, once we get to our long-awaited subway stop, we have to walk about 12-15 blocks to my Aunt's street, and then another two blocks to her house.  All the while carrying giant and heavy backpacks and trucking along our suitcases.  And, it was hot.  Unseasonably warm, which made the trek all the more uncomfortable.
The funniest part was when we get to my Aunt's lovely house in Brooklyn Heights, carry our crap up the stoop, and collapse inside of the house.  Instead of carrying our things up the three large flights of stairs, Sarah simply says 'no' and we go to the back patio and collapse into the chairs and catch our breaths.
But, we had arrived.

After an hour of decompressing, we met up with my aunt, my cousin Susannah, and her daughters Arianna and Victoria for lunch at this bizarre russian/polish/? place.  It was actually really good, but very odd.  The water tasted like cucumbers and everything looked extra healthy and vegan-ized.  Also Sarah had this weird beat&dill ice cream that she really liked.
Anywho, after that we went back to the house and relaxed for a bit before preparing ourselves for the night ahead.  A few hours of hair, make-up, and clothes later we were heading the twelve blocks back to the train station to get to Times Square.  By the time we got there, we had about an hour before dinner, which we spent walking around Times Square and into my favorite store: M&M world!

Such fun.  Then we went to the middle of Times Square and up the risers to overlook the entire area.  And snapped a few spiffy photos, of course.



Then we went on the search for our restaurant, Orso.  Once we got there we slipped our heels on outside, checked our coats inside, and found our table with our Aunt.  A few minutes and slices of delicious bread and bean dip later, my uncle, cousin, cousin's boyfriend, and uncle's mother arrived and we began dinner.  I feel like it went so quickly, the dinner.  Since Sarah and I had a show to make, my aunt had us flying through courses, which she of course made sure included appetizer, entree, and dessert.  I wish we had more time, it's always so much fun going out with my family.
Anywho, when it got to a certain time Sarah and I were told it was time to leave and we got our coats and were on our way!
Once we got there, we of course took more photos with the Mary Poppins posters.

 the beautiful theater.
The show was pretty good.  I liked the dancing and the child actors were really impressive.  I'm not a fan of the story of Mary Poppins, so parts of it were kind of boring, but overall it was good.
After the show we walked up the street to find a cab.  Then up another street.  Then down another street.  We walked in and out of times square for at least 20 minutes looking for a cab.  All the while still wearing heels.  Finally we found a cab and he took us back to brooklyn where we packed up and passed out.
Also, Sarah had some shoe issues, but we won't go into that.
The next morning my Aunt&Uncle took Sarah and I out to lunch in battery park.
This photo is us standing in front of the sphere that was taken from the lobby of the World Trade Center.
The view in battery park.


my aunt&uncle.

our fantastic lunch in the park.  So incredibly delicious.


Sarah's bread pudding.

My chocolate lava cake with hazelnut ice cream and raspberry drizzle.
After dessert I went to the restroom, and when I came out my Aunt was digging through her purse looking distressed.  We had about an hour until our train left from Grand Central Station, and my Aunt just realized that she had misplaced her car keys, which was a problem because all of our luggage was locked in her car.  Now, my aunt is an extremely responsible and organized woman, so she jumped at the most efficient solution and hopped a cab back to Brooklyn to get her spare set, while Sarah and I waited by the car with my uncle.
In about twenty minutes, my aunt was back, we found the keys in a bag in her back seat, and we were off to grand central, expecting to catch a later train than expected.  However, we got to the station at 1:43, my aunt ran us to the ticket station, bought our tickets, and ran us to the platform where we boarded the train at 1:46.  The train left at 1:48, as originally planned.
Full of adventures, and such a fun trip.
The train took us to Laura's house, where we loaded up her car and left for school.
And, here I am.  A week later, finally updating all of your eager readers (Sarah).

12 days till my flight takes me home for a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment