Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jake&Joseph

I must have the weirdest dogs in the world.
This morning was the morning that I had been dreading for two weeks- free vaccination day.  The local firehouse was giving free rabies vaccinations to dogs and charging like ten bucks for the licensing, as opposed to a few hundred dollars that the vet would charge.
So, we had to take advantage of it.  But the thing is, Jake and Joey are only used to each other.  Jake (all seventeen fluffy pounds of him) thinks that he's a vicious attack dog and acts accordingly to any dog that he comes into contact with, sometimes even to Joey.  He's also blind, so I think that sometimes when he's snarling at another dog he doesn't realize that he's as big as the other dog's head.  This presents a bit of a conflict when taking him out into public, hence my dread.  And this wasn't just public, this was a giant room filled with hundreds of dogs.  And then there's Joey, who is the complete opposite and just gets so excited to see other dogs that he pees everywhere.  So, there was a mess ahead of us this morning.  And on top of that, Jake gets so traumatized from the car ride that he not only claws the crap out of whoever is holding him, he has to be rocked for a while afterwards because he starts shaking and having heart palpitations.
So, this morning I woke up and got the leashes and sweaters out from the dogs' drawer, and of course they came running.  For some reason, these dogs just love their sweaters.  Jake, especially, is really difficult to catch if you ever want to bathe him or cut his hair or even pet him, and when I take out the sweaters both of them come running over and then stand perfectly still while I dress them.  And yes, I realize that dressing your dogs seems silly, but the pups get cold and really seem to like being dressed, so I take advantage of it.
Anywho, so the dogs are climbing all over themselves to get to the front door in their excitement and I'm standing there trying to think of the best strategy for the car ride.
Poor Jakey, with his blindness, kept hitting the door and the seat trying to get into the car until I lifted him and Joey in.  Jake of course then latched his claws into my sweatshirt to begin the drive, and we went to the firehouse.  For the next hour I held Jake while Joey went bizerk trying to sniff every butt and lick every nose in there.  He was quite tuckered out by the end of it all.  It wasn't as bad as I expected.  I was a little nervous that one dog would start snarling at another dog and start a chain reaction, because there was at least a hundred dogs in there all walking around.  So we kept Jake off the floor and he eventually fell asleep like a little baby while we were in line, I'm not sure if he ever realized that there were other dogs there.
Like I said, I have very odd dogs.  Now Joey's nested in a blanket on the couch, and Jake is over in the kitchen licking the floor.  Just another night.
I'm going to miss my precious pups while I'm at school, they are certainly unique.
Here's some shots of them all dressed up for the day's adventure!

And of course, a video.

No comments:

Post a Comment