Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

The Adventures of Easter Break

Easter Break!  Finally finally finally.  I went to class yesterday and then Kesha and I loaded up Jiminy and headed to New Hampshire.  On the way I remember that my insurance card expired the day before, so I call my mom and ask her if I should be driving without it and she says no and I say awesome because I am anyways and she knows it.  We ignore the issue and move on.  In an effort to keep Kesh from taking photos of people in other cars out of boredom, we played the movie game.  Never heard of it?  
Well, the first person picks a movie that starts with A, like Alice in Wonderland.  Then the second person has to pick a movie title that starts with the first letter of the last word (W).  So I would say Wall-e, and since it is a one word title the next person would pick a movie starting with the last letter of the word (e) and so on.  It's my most favorite game.
Anywho so we stop at the library on the way to Kesh's house to rent some movies and oh, what a sight it was.  She's running around kissing the desk and shouting how happy she is to be home and oh man I don't think New Hampshire was ready for us.  
And then we get to her house and her mom makes us a delicioussss (and I cannot stress just how delicious) dinner, we laugh, we run around like crazy people, and then we decide to watch a movie before bed.  But as everyone knows, for a good girly movie night, you need ice cream.  So it's about 8:30pm and we get back into Jiminy, run to the store, grab some ben&jerry's, and start driving back.
And here's the thing.  I'm in the middle of nowhere, NH.  Dark, long, windy roads, no streetlights, no people.  Also, no obvious speed limit signs.  I see one in the distance for 50mph and go for it.  And then I notice an array of flashing lights making a u-turn to come up behind me.  And then I realize that yes, I am getting pulled over and Kesha informs me that I was speeding.  And then I think oh shoot, my insurance is expired.  Is my registration expired? I guess we'll find out.
Also, I've never been pulled over in my life.  Kesha is next to me shaking with nerves/fear and I'm trying so hard not to bust out laughing at the situation I'm in.  So two police officers get out, one a man and one a woman.  The woman goes over to Kesha's side which was hysterical in itself because Kesha has this irrational fear of police ladies, and the man came to my side and asked me all sorts of questions.  Is someone hurt?  Am I driving to a hospital for an emergency?  Am I driving back to New Jersey?  Why am I in New Hampshire?  Where am I driving to?  And finally, License and Registration?  And then he told me he pulled me over because I was going twelve miles over the speed limit and I pointed to the 50mph sign that was literally right in front of where I pulled over (strategic) and said I thought that was the speed limit and blah blah blah I politely tried to explain my innocence.  And then he started explaining NH roads and how it's difficult for a non-resident to get used to it and such.  Meanwhile the lady cop is asking Kesha if she's cold because Kesh is internally freaking out and shaking profusely as a result.  And then they go back to their car to process my license and such and Kesha continues to shake and be nervous.  It really wasn't a nerve-racking situation for me though.  I mean, I wasn't speeding on purpose, I had never been pulled over before, I'm not even from the state and we told them we were on break from college.  I didn't feel guilty, so it wasn't stressing me out.  And the worst thing that could happen was that I would get a ticket and that's just money, it's not a big enough offense to get points on my license or anything.  
Anywho he comes back and he gives me a little yellow paper with the glorious 'Warning' stamped at the top and tells me I just got out of a 77 dollar fine and to drive safely.  He was so nice.  Even if he has given me a ticket he was super duper nice and friendly.  In hindsight, twas a funny experience.  And a really good one.  It's like my magical disney tattoo experience, where it should have been scary and painful but was actually friendly and painless.
So yes, we're off to a good start here in good ol NH.  Today we are driving into Concord to go to the planetarium so I can do my astronomy project, so that will be fun.
As for now, I think I shall go wake Kesha up so we can start out adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment