Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

So I'm reading the hunger games in silence and all of a sudden a loud noise startles me and I jump.  There's a lone goose flying over the dorm outside my window honking like crazy in the dark.  And for the last five minutes as I sit here by the window all I can think of is how sad the goose's relentless honking sounded and how it reminded me of a little kid lost in a supermarket calling for his mom.
I hope the goose finds whoever it's looking for.
Anyways, now that I sound completely nuts, I'm going to tell you about the Hunger Games.
I saw the movie last friday and it was excellent.  Really really excellent.  I started the books yesterday because the movie was so good and let me tell you, the books are even better (as they should be).  I've heard that the series is supposed to be very gender neutral, but I really can't imagine any guy I know getting into this book.  I think it's great, I started it yesterday afternoon and I'm three chapters from the end.
Also, it finally happened: a wasp has made its way into our suite.  Sarah and I noticed in the fall that there was a wasp's nest outside of our window but figured it couldn't do any harm to us, being that the windows are thick and sturdy.  Or so we thought.  Since the weather's turned abruptly into spring, the wasps are back and I've been saying all semester that if one of those wasps get into our room somehow, I'm moving out because I know that will only be the beginning.
I do not like bees.  Wasps and hornets especially, but anything that buzzes with a stinger is borderline petrifying for me.  I'm not particularly afraid of spiders or ants or other bugs, but I lose it when it comes to bee-like creatures.  So, I go into the bathroom today and turn on my straightener, and what do I find on the wall next to the mirror?
A wasp.  So I turn off the straightener and book it, shouting to Tibbs and Kesha about what I've found on my way out.  And of course when they go in to investigate, it's gone.  Sneaky little insect.
Anywho about an hour or two later Laura and I go in again to find him once and for all, and I see him sitting in the bathtub between the shower curtains.  Lucky for me I have Laura the wasp-slayer, and the sneaky wasp is now dead and flushed.
But I'm serious about the moving out thing.  If this happens again I'm going to assume that the wasps have some easy entry between their nest and my room and will not live here until the nest is gone.  I freaking hate those things.
Anywho, I'm off to finish the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment