Pages

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

So this just broke my heart.
http://amotherthing.com/2013/07/getting-political/

I hope that I have sons.  I will teach them that they are just as welcome to do ballet as they are to little league.  They will wear whatever color they want, play dress up in whatever costumes they please.  They will be taught that love is from God and transcends gender, race, and stereotypes.
I was never challenged with an issue of gender roles.  I think that being a heterosexual girl, it doesn't come up much.  I'm in college, working towards a degree so I can be independent and support myself, as I've been encouraged to do.  I did sports and ballet as a child.  I was never told that I couldn't wear overalls or had to have my hair done up beautifully before leaving the house.
I can't imagine what it would have been like to be a boy.
There is such a stigma against boys playing dress up and doing dance and liking pink because people automatically think they are gay.  They're children.  And even if they are gay, they're still children.  People.  Men.
I think of Tom, one of my old friends who is one of the greatest depictions of a man that I will ever know, who is dating a man.  Why would that ever take away from who he is?
I know there's more to it.  I know that the bible says that sodomy is a sin, but I also know that there are hundreds of ways to translate the bible into english, and many interpretations.  I just don't believe that love so strong and pure, like that of many gay couples that I know, could be wrong.
I really hope that I have sons, because straight or gay, they will be taught to love whatever and whomever they desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment