Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Intern Season is Upon Us Yet Again

Tis the season to begin the internship search for this fall.  I feel like I was just in the midst of this for the summer season (oh wait, I was).
But I am back, yet again, to the routine of searching, contacting, and applying.  Polishing my resumé and re-writing cover letters that seemed so brilliant at the time and now seem stupid.
Awesome.
Tis also the season to clean up my twitter account.
No no, not for language or inappropriate content, but for movie reviews.
I trash movies from time to time.
Movies whose production companies I am now applying to.
And so, goodbye film analyses.
Maybe I'll make an anonymous account and trash all of the movies I want.
Or maybe I'll just stick to the usual witty (or at least I'd like to think so) tweets.

As time consuming and tiring it is, I kind of love applying for internships.
It's like a scavenger hunt.
I dig and dig through websites and linkedin and Facebook accounts until I find a phone number or email address of a prestigious company.
And then I call.
And call.
And call.
And then I promote myself and wait a week.
And call again.
It's great.

I'm also really competitive.  I'm interning in Hollywood, after all, along with a hundred other talented film students.  I need to give myself an edge.
Also, my films aren't that good.
My last one wasn't bad, but none of them are excellent.
I'm a writer, and a communicator.
I am not a cinematographer.
And thus, the films that I have personally filmed (all but one), are not the greatest quality.
And the people that I am up against have excellent films.
So I need to excel in what I do best - people and writing.  Which, luckily, translates into interning and the process by which I get an internship.  Communicate and write and repeat.

I know I can be good at this.
I love film.
It's the only thing I really really love doing.
I will get a good internship, which is why I am determined to work as hard as possible to create the best application that I can.

So that's my mood right now.
Some Sasha Fierce motivation going on right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment