Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

So pretty much everything about being a com major is awesome.  We make films, write stories, and have to watch movies for homework.  It's great.
However, there are a few downsides to 'doing film'.
One being the equipment.
We have beautiful cameras that we can check out at no cost (unless we break them, which you might as well give up right then and there since these things are worth half of tuition), but they are heavy.  And I live far away. 
Not even far, I mean Gordon is a small campus.  But from the arts building to my dorm is pretty much as spread out as you get at this school.  And when you're carrying all your film crap, going back to your room is a trek.  Not to mention the fact that you're never just carrying a camera.  Where there's a camera, there's a tripod.  Or a dolly.  Or a shoulder rig.  Or all three if you're getting fancy.  Then you have sound, which is probably a boom mic and zoom recorder, then lighting which is a massive case.
And then you have all of the fun accessories, like thirty pound sandbags and extension cords and bounce boards.
Which leaves you with a ton of heavy expensive equipment, and no chance in hell that you can make it up to your apartment carrying it.  So you have to leave enough time to get your car, load in gear, unload gear to apartment, park your car back in the furthest possible parking lot (because when are there ever spots near your apartment?) and walk to wherever you need to be.
Anywho so that's one setback to being a com major.
The second is the reason that I have all this time to rant about my concentration.
The software.
Again, we have the best software and I know that I'm really lucky to be able to use it whenever I need, but right now we are going on hour two of my reformatting my film clips so that they can be uploaded into Final Cut Pro.  Two hours for four clips.
I have six left.

So that's setback number two.
Other than that, a communications major is pretty much as good as it gets.
Happy Tuesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment