Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Washed By The Water

Sunday nights.
I always go to bed so late on Sunday nights because I have to write my journal for Christian Theology before bed for class tomorrow.
And realistically, the journal takes less than a half hour including the reading required to write it, but I just can't get myself to sit down and do it till twelve thirty in the morning.
I think Tibbs has the same syndrome.
I'm sitting on my bed procrastinating while Kesha sits with Tibbs on her bed, coaching her through her philosophy paper.  What a trooper.
Also, I got baptized today.
I wasn't planning on it, but our pastor invited everyone up who felt convicted to do so, and he gave a very influential message about baptism.
But the whole time I didn't want to do it.  In terms of my faith, I don't like to be put on display.  I didn't like the idea of being in front of the 500+ people that were in church today and jumping into a tank.  I didn't like the idea of all of the emotions that come of close moments with God.
But the whole time I'm standing there watching the baptisms and trying not to think, I'm thinking of this song that I love, that I used to listen to when I was in high school.  So this one part from a Jon Foreman song is just running through my head: Would you create in me a clean heart, oh God, restore in me the joy of your salvation.  Wash me white as snow and I will be made whole.
And it freaked me out.  It was emotion, and a lot of it at that.  And I just had this overwhelming desire to be washed in the faith that has carried me out of the mess that I was.  And I just had to do it.
So at the last minute, after about twenty minutes of baptisms (there were 69 people who ended up being baptized, 11 of them had planned to ahead of time), I felt like it was something I needed to do.  So I ran to the back with Kesha and Laura and changed into a Netcast t-shirt (the name of the church) and got in line.
And I got baptized.
And Kesha and Laura stood next to me whilst I got dunked in the baptism tank.
Laura cried.
It was a cool moment.
And now all day people have messaged me and told me congratulations, which has actually been really weird.
It's weird to me that people are so happy I got baptized.  It's not like a bad weird, just a foreign weird.  Like why does everyone care so much when it doesn't affect them?  I guess that's what it means to be a church community.  Kinda cool.
So yes, that was my day.
And now that it's 12:23 am, I think I'll start on my journal.
Bleh.

No comments:

Post a Comment