Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Okay, it's the eve of Valentines day, and I'm going to talk about 'leagues'.
"She's out of my league", "he's beneath me" and so on.
I don't believe in them.
In fact, I think they're absurd.
Living in an apartment with five other girls, we discuss guys from time to time, and the topic comes up.
There's this boy on campus that all of the girls are attracted to, and he tends to be the most common example of a guy out of everyone's league.
It's crazy.  So everyone is really intimidated by this guy and just looks at him when he walks by, afraid to talk to him because they feel they are beneath him.
Why?
Let me tell you, that boy would be lucky to date any girl in my apartment, but they're all convinced it'd never happen.
Because he's apparently on the other side of this imaginary social class line.  Where did this image originate?  Is it just human nature or have we bought into this idea because it makes us feel like we can understand the opposite sex better?  It's just weird.
I had a little crush on this awkward boy last year and my friends still make fun of me about it when it's brought up.  Because apparently I should be embarrassed or something that I dared to venture out of my supposed social level.  It's just bizarre, and I don't believe in it.
I think it's inevitable to be concerned with what other people think, but it seems really sad to let that dictate your feelings for someone.
So that's my rant.
Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment