Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

So today I'm standing in line waiting to sign out a new camera/tripod, and one of my male friends looks at me and says he likes my 'poof', meaning my sock bun on the top of my head.  I thank him and ask his opinion on whether the bun is too big, and he gets this super confused look on his face and he's like 'uhh...I mean, I think it's nice'.  Like the idea of trying to understand the poof and what size it's supposed to be and what it means to be too big or too small was terrifying.  Uncharted territory.
So let's talk about this: Men are both oblivious and unnerved by female cosmetology.
It cracks me up.
A few weeks ago my friend Andrew came over to me and was like 'hey you look great, what did you do to your hair?'  And he was touching it and seemed really confused as to why my usually curly hair was super straight.  I told him I straightened it and he looked very confused and said 'oh, well whatever it looks nice'.  Like, do boys really not know what a straightener is and how essential it is to a woman?
Also, the fact that 'nice' is always the word of choice when complimenting a female friend is really funny to me as well.  It's like hey, you look pretty, but since you're a single girl that goes to Gordon College, I'm going to play it safe and say you look 'nice' so you don't read into it for more than it actually is'.  All of that is wrapped up in one little statement: you look nice.
And with that, I prove their point in over-thinking things.
I just think it's funny.
Sometimes I try to look at my outfit or hair or whatever through the eyes of a boy, and it cracks me up.
Like, why do I put a wand of goo through my eyelashes each morning?
Or why is there a sock in my hair?
The men may never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment