Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

It's weird that we don't talk to people we don't know.
I know that 'stranger danger' has its validity to an extent, but it's weird to me that I treat nearly everyone I haven't met as a stranger with potential danger.
Maybe I've lived in too many cities.  Maybe I watch too much SVU.
I'm sitting in a cozy Starbucks down the street from my apartment complex, and I'm not talking to anyone.  I look around and it's pretty empty at 7:51pm aside from about seven twenty-somethings.  It's like we're all in the cozy living room drinking coffee and not talking to each other.
What if we treated cafes like we did parties?  Entering and introducing ourselves.  Sitting with people for a bit before continuing on with our work or whatever it is we set out to do here.
I've never really felt the urge to chat up patrons at a coffee shop, but right now I just feel so weird that I'm sitting so close to a group of people my age and we're ignoring each other.  They see me.  I see them.  This Starbucks looks like someone's living room.
So why aren't we talking?
It's weird, I guess.  It's unusual and probably annoying if I were to pull up a chair and introduce myself to these people.
It's just bothering me.  The whole social construct.
Why don't we talk to people we don't know?  Where did this rule come from?
I hate it.  Part of me doesn't want to enable such a stupid construct, but part of me doesn't want to be that awkward girl.  And I hate that I care about being awkward because it's just so dumb.  My friends were strangers before they were friends.
Argh.  Rants.

No comments:

Post a Comment